After talking with tons of women who were trying to rebuild wardrobes, one thing became clear: It can be super crazy overwhelming!
I’ve written a series on building a Wardrobe From Scratch, created capsule wardrobes with 35-50+ pieces to build a wardrobe, and write a lot of other content to help people build wardrobes. But I’ve realized that lists of 35-50 clothing items can be daunting when you’re starting from nothing. It takes so much time and energy to find even ONE item, let alone 35! And let’s not even talk about the money it costs!
To make the process of building a wardrobe less overwhelming and way more attainable, I started a new collection called the Starter Kit Wardrobe Guides!
WHAT’S A STARTER KIT WARDROBE?
Starter Kit Guides are for people who are starting from scratch or close to it. Rather than being overwhelmed trying to build a full wardrobe from scratch all at once, this guide will help you build a Starter Kit Wardrobe. A Starter Kit Wardrobe is a smaller collection of strategically chosen pieces that will work for you now and set you up to expand to a fuller wardrobe in the future. This way, you can rebuild your wardrobe slowly, in doable, bite-sized portions!
This guide is more “beginner,” helping you build a solid foundation with both your wardrobe and style know-how. (If you already have a full wardrobe and just want to get more ideas for remixing, the PMT Challenges will be more up your alley.)
THE COLLECTION OF STARTER KIT WARDROBE GUIDES
The guides are broken up by Style Profiles + Seasons. This is to minimize the number of clothes you need to focus on and make it less overwhelming. Guides for each Style Profile will all work together across seasons and have overlapping pieces as seasons allow!
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN EACH GUIDE
- List of clothes and accessories to get your wardrobe started for the current season
- Shopping links in an online guide to exact or similar pieces. Plus size options available! (Links are online and updated weekly during the 3 months of the current season. If you buy a guide before a season begins, you will still have access to updated shopping links once the season begins.)
- Guidance for building an Everyday Casual or Business Casual wardrobe
- 30+ Outfit Ideas from 14-16 articles of clothing, 4-5 accessories, and 3 pairs of shoes!
- Style Tips to learn to put together the outfits
HOW IT WORKS: THE TWO PHASES
This guide will help you build a Starter Kit Wardrobe in two phases:
Phase 1 – Core Basics & Outfits
- Identifies 9 Core Pieces + 2-5 Accessories to get your wardrobe started for the current season
- Shows 9-15 Outfit Ideas + Style Tips
- At the end of Phase 1 you will have a compact and functional wardrobe. If you’re content at this stage, you can stop here for a while! If and when you’re ready to expand, move on to Phase 2.
Phase 2 – Additional Pieces to Build Out Your Wardrobe
- Identifies key Additional Pieces as your next step for expanding your wardrobe
- Shows just 1-2 types of pieces to get next for more Everyday Casual outfits, Dressy Casual outfits, or Athleisure outfits
- Shows tons more Outfit Ideas if you add just a few more pieces!
HOW DOES THIS COMPARE TO PMT CHALLENGES?
I created these because I saw how overwhelming it was for women there to try go from zero pieces to 35 in a PMT Challenge all in one swoop. Starter Kits are for people who are starting from scratch or close to it. They focus the lists and are more “beginner” and basic with wardrobe foundations as well as style know-how.
PMT Challenges are better for people who have clothes but want to fill holes, or want to become experts at remixing. Starter Kits are for people who feel overwhelmed and don’t even know where to start with clothes or style.