Huge thanks to Nordstrom and ShopStyle Collective for sponsoring this post
This month my family and I will be taking a trip to visit some friends and family, so today I’m partnering with Nordstrom and ShopStyle Collective to share my packing list for a casual trip and 10 outfits you can make with it! Whether you’ve got an upcoming trip to pack for as well, or whether you just want to have a small collection of clothes that mixes and matches effortlessly, this post is full of goodness that I hope will help you out!
While I wish we were going on some super exciting excursion, our trip will be really low-key and mostly full of hanging out at friends’ houses or getting outdoors to keep our kids from going stir crazy. So, this packing list is full of super, SUPER casual pieces like jeans, casual tops, and even loungewear. But hey, who doesn’t need casual clothes and loungewear, right? So, let’s do it!
You all know that many of my favorite clothes come from Nordstrom because they are so dang comfortable! The clothes just feel good, they drape and hang really well, and again, they’re so stinking comfortable! (Yes, even jeans, jackets, and work pants that are insanely soft and stretchy!) Plus, shopping at Nordstrom is EXTREMELY easy with their amazing customer service. You get free shipping and free return shipping on all orders so that you can order things and try them with peace of mind. You can also order online and utilize their in-store and curbside pickup. You can also earn points on your purchases towards Nordstrom Notes, get access to free alterations, and more if you’re part of the Nordy Club. It’s totally free to sign up! Learn all about it HERE.
Now for my packing list! As always, you don’t need to use the exact pieces that I’m showing, and I’ll share a few alternatives and some notes about each item to give you an idea of how to make this your own.
SIZING: I’m 5’6″ and usually S/M or 6 in clothes and 8.5 to 9 in shoes.
1. Jeans #1 – I always make sure to have a pair of jeans when traveling because they are super versatile and can be dressed up or down. As you know, my jeans of choice are Wit & Wisdom because they are soooo comfortable. This pair is very soft and stretchy throughout the legs, but what’s crucial is that the waistband is elastic, which gives you ultimate comfort! Find them HERE and another super similar pair HERE. I wear these in size 4.
2. Jeans #2 (optional, not shown) – If you have a longer trip and need an additional option, include a second pair of jeans. These could simply be a different wash, are a different cut, or have some distressing details. I probably won’t need a second pair of jeans on my trip, but if I did, I’d pack my black jeans by Wit & Wisdom which also have elastic in the waistband, of course! You can find them HERE. I wear these in size 6. A different pair that I also love is the lighter wash version of the skinny jeans above, which you can find HERE, and an even lighter wash HERE.
3. Leggings – We’ll likely go on a light hike, so I’m bringing a pair of leggings that work for activewear and that I can lounge around the house in while hanging out. You can opt for a standard black pair of leggings, like the Zella High Waisted Live In 7/8 Leggings With Pockets that I always talk about, or switch it up a little and try these Zella Restore Pocket Leggings. Both pairs are great!
The black Live In Leggings are thick and have some compression which helps you feel secure. I love the 7/8 pair with pockets so that I can be hands-free and access my phone to snap pics at any moment.
The Restore Pocket leggings, which is the pair I’ll be showing in outfits further down this post, are BUTTERY SOFT. I always say this, but I don’t know how else to explain how they feel. They feel ever so slightly fuzzy, really cozy, and like buttery goodness! They are a little warmer than standard leggings, too. They don’t have as much compression as the Live In leggings, and they have a sporty vibe with the ribbed cuffs. I fold the cuffs up a bit since they’re a tad long for me. You can find the black pair that I’m wearing HERE, and they’re ON SALE for 25% off! They also come in a pastel blue HERE, and 6 other colors HERE. I wear size S.
Either of these will work with the tops in this list, so if you want to include more than one pair of leggings, go for both!
1. Casual Top #1 – I’m bringing a casual top that works with at least two of my bottoms. This could either be a standard short or long sleeve tee (like THIS long sleeve tee), but I’m opting for this thermal henley instead. I’ve told you before how much I love this henley! What sold me is that it is fairly thick and has a nice drape, since thermals tend to be really thin. The button details and waffle texture upgrade this from a standard long sleeve top, and you can wear it with both jeans and lounge joggers, which I’ll show below. It’s pretty versatile, and I think you could even pair it with solid black leggings, a puffer vest, and all-weather boots, but I won’t need any of that where I’m going. 😊 This thermal henley comes in 5 colors, HERE. I wear size S.
2. Casual Top #2 – For another casual top, I’m including this thermal long sleeve by Caslon. It feels similarly to the thermal henley above. It’s a medium thickness with a good drape, so I loooove that. This one doesn’t have buttons and has a curved hem and stitches at the shoulders instead. I think the lack of buttons makes it a little sportier and better able to wear with leggings and athletic sneakers. And of course, you can also wear it with jeans AND loungewear joggers. It’s super, super versatile and comes in 4 colors, HERE. I wear size S.
3. Sweatshirt #1 – Sweatshirts have been my go-to for super casual style lately. Pack a sweatshirt that goes with at least two of your bottoms. The one in the graphic above is an activewear tunic sweatshirt by Zella. It’s pretty pricey, but it is VERY thick and SO COZY with a soft, FUZZY inside! Keeps you nice and warm, and it covers my backside in leggings (I’m 5’6″). One note is that it is very thick, so it will add bulk to your top half. Pass on it if that’s not what you’re looking for! Otherwise, it’s a warm, comfy sweatshirt that comes in 6 colors. And it has pockets! See all the colors HERE. This works really well with leggings, but you can always wear it with skinny jeans.
An option for a thinner sweatshirt that is good for activewear and athleisure is this Carey High Low Sweatshirt by Zella. I have shown this on the blog before with jeans, joggers, and the same Restore Leggings I’m showing here. It’s much thinner with a sporty vibe and has a really good drape. See all the colors HERE. I wear it in size S.
4. Sweatshirt #2 or Casual Sweater or Top – If you need more options, pack either another sweatshirt or a super casual sweater or top. Again, choose one that goes with at least two bottoms. The one I’m showing is a comfy loungewear top that works as a set with the loungewear joggers or can be worn on its own with jeans in a super casual outfit. You can also pair it easily with standard black leggings. This is fuzzy, cozy, stretchy, and COMFY! Find it HERE in several colors. I wear size S.
5. Sweater – Last is a casual sweater. While I try to pack tops that go with at least two bottoms to maximize options, this is the exception, as it pretty much only works with jeans. I’m packing this just in case I need to look a little more dressed up than casual sweatshirts, athleisure, and loungewear.
I’ve shown this sweater before both in black and in purple. It’s really soft and lightweight, and I like how easygoing it feels. A couple reviews say it is super short (and gave poor reviews for that). For reference, it’s 25.5″ long in size S, which is not extraordinarily short, but it does work well with my shorter torso. Another review also says it’s itchy, which I didn’t find to be the case at all. I think it’s pretty soft and comfy! It comes in 4 colors. Find it HERE. I wear size S.
1. Casual Everyday Sneakers – For a casual wardrobe, a pair of everyday sneakers is a must. For cooler weather, try a pair of sneaker booties with faux-fur lining! This pair is super cozy, and the high shaft allows you to tuck in skinny jeans. Plus, it’s waterproof, so if you’re traveling, you can rest assured that your shoes will work whether it’s dry or wet outside! These come in 3 colors, which you can see HERE. I wear size 9.
2. Booties – If you want a step up from sneakers, pack a pair of booties. These are also waterproof, which makes them great for traveling as it allows you to streamline your wardrobe to accommodate different weather. They have a high and narrow shaft, so they work with rolled up skinny jeans but also work under several of my ankle length straight leg jeans. These come in this two-toned tan/black suede, an all-black leather version, and a white/black version. And, they’re ON SALE for 40% OFF! Amazing price for leather water resistant booties! Check them all out HERE. I wear size 9.
3. Athletic Sneakers – If you’ll be doing light activity on your trip, remember to pack a pair of athletic sneakers! Make sure they work with your leggings. Bonus if they work with your jeans, too! Try THIS pair for some versatile sneakers that go with leggings and jeans.
10 Outfits With 8 Pieces
Now here are 10 outfits you can make with just 8 articles of clothing!
1. Casual Sweater or Top + Jeans + Everyday Sneakers
I told you this loungewear top could be paired with jeans. SOOO comfy!
2. Sweatshirt + Leggings + Athletic Sneakers
This sweatshirt keeps you super duper warm!
3. Jeans + Sweatshirt + Everyday Sneakers
Pair the sweatshirt with jeans and sneaker booties, too!
4. Casual Top #1 + Jeans + Booties
Super easygoing look with this thermal henley.
5. Casual Top #2 + Leggings + Athletic Sneakers
Wear this thermal top with leggings for a trip to the park or a walk around the neighborhood.
6. Casual Top #2 + Jeans + Booties
The thermal top works really, really well with jeans, too!
Shop the Outfit:
Top: Nordstrom (exact—wearing size S)
Jeans: Nordstrom (exact—wearing size 4; similar)
Boots: Nordstrom (exact—wearing size 9)
Bag: Nordstrom (exact; similar)
Necklace: Nordstrom (exact)
7. Casual Top #2 + Joggers
Create a third look by pairing the thermal top with joggers. I told you this thing was super versatile!
8. Sweater + Jeans + Booties
Easy outfit for a relaxed dinner out.
9. Casual Sweater or Top + Joggers
Yup, the loungewear joggers and the super comfy top come as a set. Love it!
There you go, 10 outfits with just 8 pieces! Gotta love having a wardrobe with pieces that mix and match effortlessly! There are some GREAT items here that make style super easy. I’ve been wearing them on repeat, so naturally I’ll be bringing them along on our trip.
If you have an upcoming trip to pack for or simply want easy everyday style, check out some of these items and use this list to put together an easy-to-use wardrobe!
And, for your pinning pleasure:
Loved this post? You’ll LOOOOOOOOVE our Starter Kit Wardrobe Guides!
Get the roadmap and tools you need to build a cohesive wardrobe that’s purposeful, easy-to-use, and gives you tons of outfits. Learn to put together a starter kit wardrobe of just 9-15 pieces and turn it into 30+ outfits! Grab a Starter Kit Wardrobe Guide and get going!