Back in October I posted How to Wear Chambray for Fall and had to limit it to fall styling because there were so many ways to style a chambray top. I knew I wanted to follow it up with a spring edition to showcase just how remixable this piece is, so here we are!
A chambray top is such an easy piece to mix and match, and it can be updated for the appropriate season by using different kinds of accessories and colors. These looks use many of the same suggestions as the fall edition, but with spring styling such as floral skirts, sandals, shorts, etc. Have fun and experiment with which spring pieces you can pair yours with and the different ways you can accessorize with springy pieces!
Here are the large versions of the outfits:
1. Paired With Light Neutral Bottoms. Light colored jeans brighten up chambray for spring! I added some dimension by leaving the chambray top open and layering a tank top underneath as well as adding some pattern with a scarf.
2. Paired With Colored Jeans. Pair chambray with any bottoms of any color—red, green, yellow, coral, you name it. Sometimes solid on solid can look a little plain, so incorporate some pattern or interest in small ways with accessories. Here I added pattern with a scarf, but if it’s too warm for a scarf go for a statement necklace instead. Or add pattern in your shoes!
3. Tied Over a Flowy Skirt. Pair a chambray top with a light, flowy skirt. It’ll add an airiness to heavier chambray texture, making it great for spring. If it looks alright on your body shape, try tying it over the skirt to define your waist. If tying shirts doesn’t work for you, try tucking it and add a belt if it still doesn’t look right.
4. Paired With Bright or Patterned Shorts. Of course chambray would be great with shorts, especially in the spring closer to summer. The long sleeves will give you some warmth on top while letting your legs breathe and soak up the sun. Try it with shorts of any kind, whether solid or patterned. (See two pics down for an example with patterned shorts.) For the look shown here I added a striped shirt underneath so that a little pattern would peek through the otherwise all-solids outfit.
6. Open Over a T-shirt. For a laid back look wear your chambray top open over a tee or a tank. Here I paired it with patterned shorts and added a pop of color with a necklace, but there are plenty of other variations. Try it with a striped tank underneath paired with black or colored skinny jeans, for example.
7. Layered Under or Over a Dress. I borrowed this look from the fall version of the chambray remix because I think it works for spring too. Layer a chambray top under a dress like in the pic above or tie it over a dress. Experiment with dresses of any color or pattern. It’s cute tied over a floral maxi dress! (I wish I had an example pic of that, but I can’t do the tying thing with my growing baby bump!)
What pairing will you try next with your chambray top?